OFFICIAL NEWSBLOG OF PROSCRIPTOR MCGOVERN’S APSÛ

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Catching Up With... Vincent Rossi

Here is the second of my recent interviews with past members/collaborators of ABSU.  This one is with frequent ABSU (and other projects) collaborator, Vincent Rossi.

WEBMASTER: What have you been up to these days?


VINCENT ROSSI: I stay extremely busy working as a telecommunications consultant, an audio engineer, musician and song writing. I enjoy reading, building instruments and spending as much time with my family as possible.


WM:  Did you start at an early age performing a musical instrument?

VR: I started playing guitar daily at age 13.


WM: What were your major influences?

VR: I had music in my life as long as I can remember with professional musicians in my family, especially my incredibly talented uncle, Russ Bono. My parents played a broad variety of music at home daily as well as my older brother who turned me on to my biggest influences, The Beatles. My first LP album was Yesterday & Today. The first album I ever purchased was Sabbath's Paranoid, still one of my all time favorites!!!

Guitar influences are many, however, most notable would be George Harrison, Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth, Frank Marino, Hughie Thomasson and Charlie Daniels.


WM: How did you get involved with Proscriptor and ABSU?

VR: Shaftiel and Equitant mugged me as I was leaving the liquor store for a pint of Mad Dog 20/20 and that's a true story!!! Proscriptor came to my rescue with a 24 pack of Old Milwaukee and half a hotdog purchased from Ramone Gonzales before he went on world tour with Erykah Badu.


WM: What were your initial impressions of the music they created?

VR: Loud, fast and magikal, but with GREAT tone!!!


WM: Any particular favorite memory while you worked with ABSU and Proscriptor?

VR: Absu and I spent a lot of time together both working and socializing, I have too many favorite memories to mention just one. I cherish all of the moments we shared together, they're my younger brothers for life! One of my fondest memories with Proscriptor was videoing his audition with Slayer's Kerry King. After an all-nite session of drink induced debauchery, he still kicked Kerry's ass and that's a fact! I have it preserved eternally on video.


WM: Are you working on any musical projects right now?

VR: Aside from performing live in a couple of bands and in an acoustic duo, I continue to write music and songs for a variety of projects on a regular basis.


WM: Do you follow ABSU at all these days? What do you think of their evolution over the years?

VR: I still follow Absu, I'm fascinated by the evolution of the band and enjoy the different phases that have transpired, however, I no longer offer any creative input to the band as it's no longer convenient logistically and let's face it, Proscriptor McGovern is one of the most creative persons I know!!!


WM: Should the time be right, would you consider working with Proscriptor or ABSU again in the future?

VR: Out of respect for Absu, I would would work with all members, former and current on their solo projects.


WM: Thank you for your time to catch up with us! You can end this interview as you see fit.

VR: Thanks Pete for this honor, and thanks to my mythologikal brethren for all the great times, memories and musik!!